top of page

Assessing Children​

Children in a class

Enable SpLD Assessments assess children from the age of 10 to 16 years. The first step to arranging an assessment for your child is to complete one of our comprehensive family questionnaires (online) to give us background information on your child. Once your questionnaire is received, we will read it and recommend whether one of our assessments is appropriate. The next stage would be to ask your child’s teacher to complete a school questionnaire about your child’s performance in school. This stage is not compulsory, although to have a teacher’s perspective on the child’s development will enhance the depth and comprehensiveness of the eventual assessment report.

If you need more time to consider your options, then there is no obligation to commit to an assessment at this point. Should you decide to go ahead with a formal assessment, we will offer you a range of dates and times for a booking. In most cases the assessor will come to you and the assessment will take place in your home. If this is not possible other options could be explored. You are welcome to contact us for further information at any stage.

Following the assessment, the assessor will evaluate the available background information, score and analyse the performance in the standardised tests and write a comprehensive report, including a diagnostic decision. Reports written by Enable SpLD Assessment are usually sent to parents within 10 working days of the assessment date.

On some occasions it is not possible to offer a clear-cut diagnosis of a specific learning difficulty, particularly in some younger children where it is fairly usual to experience minor developmental delays in some areas. In such circumstances, a comprehensive description of the cognitive and literacy attainments profile, including strengths and weaknesses and recommendations for further development will be given. If necessary, consultation with other professionals, such as teachers, a clinical psychologist, a speech and language therapist or a paediatric occupational therapist may be recommended. 

bottom of page